BemusedBookworm

Bemused Bookworm

Bemused Bookworm is a YA/NA blog that features reviews and recommendations, as well as book promo posts. I find myself attracted mostly to paranormal and dystopian so you probably wont find much historical or contemporary lit.

Lumière (The Illumination Paradox)
Jacqueline Garlick
From a Distant Star
Karen McQuestion
Arcane Forest Anthology: Get Lost in Worlds of Fantasy and Awe
No Sweat Graphics, Karin De Havin, W.J. May, Emma Shade, C.J. Pinard, Natasha Brown, Kaitlyn Davis, Chrissy Peebles, Kristen Middleton, Kate Thomas
A Young Girl's Diary

Protagonist: Laurel [POV:]
Antagonist: Barnes
Supporting: David
Supporting: Tamani

There is always someone who secretly believes in myths and legends. Those are the people who look beyond the obvious and see things in this world that are truly wonderful.

- David

Summary

“Fifteen-year-old Laurel has led a sheltered, homeschooled life in a very small town, so when her parents decide to move and enroll her in high school, she has trouble getting used to her new life. A life, as it turns out, that’s not at all like those of other kids. One clear sign is a winglike blossom that blooms on her back. Oh, and her new best friend, the scientifically minded David, reveals under a microscope that her cells are more plant than animal. But it takes an encounter at her old home with the handsome but decidedly different Tamani to convince her that she is a faerie. She also learns it’s up to her to save her land from the evil influences that are trying to take it away from her and her family.” –Ilene Cooper

My Opinion

Characters. I love the characters in this book. Laurel, the main character, seems like a very typical teenagers, but I like her. The author does a really good job building her and the other’s in this book. The characters seemed “true” to themselves throughout the book, which I find important. You get a very good sense of who they are! My favorite is Tamani, of course. I love mythological men!! :D

Theme. The theme of this book is growth and discovery. The protag learns some secrets about her past and needs to learn more about it and herself. It’s almost a coming-of-age story. Then you throw in the love factor. The theme is similar to others in the young adult fantasy genre. I would think the next books will focus more on the love factor. There is also a theme of acceptance from others and accepting yourself.

Plot. The plot in this book starts as easy going learning and discovery and cycles to a suspenseful fight. One plot element of this book does includes mild suspense. Towards the end Laurel has to fight for her Fairy-ness.

Style. There is some mild humor in the book and some symbolism. The writing style is very clear and concise. Very easy to read, understand and like.

Setting. The settings in this book is the forest and in school in a small-town.

Comparison. This book is similar to others in the genre. I think it also stands out because the choice is a little different. In book one, the choice-phase hasn’t quite come to past yet, but in the next books, Laurel will have to choose between her fairy life and her human life. The difference is that she’s already a fair..unlike in Twilight, where the main character has to be changed.

Overall. I really enjoyed this book. I am older (ahem, ahem..lol), but i still enjoyed this book. It sends a positive message. Very good overall.

The Bottom-Line

Laurel discovers she is a fairy. She finds herself stuck between two worlds..and two guys. She will end up having to choose.

Please check back often, as I will be continuing update with new books . If you have any questions, please post a comment and I'll get back to you. :D

Thank you for reading my review.